Apparently, at present times RV has gradually become indispensable electrical equipment in our homes. To make it work more effectively, however, we need to use the best portable generators for RV. It is evident that if we do not use an appropriate generator for RV, it will certainly fail to work and cannot control or balance the electricity accurately.
A good generator for RV will ensure for RV to receive enough electricity and protect it from other outside influences. Besides, this equipment also helps to lengthen the expectancy of RV. When the generator is installed in a suitable size, it will bring certain benefits for your RV and the electrical system as well.
Nowadays, there are various kinds of the generator on the market. This will make buyers confused what they should choose for RV at home or campsite. To help you have more information into a good generator for RV, I will show you the background of this equipment, some criteria for a good generator, and the best portable generators for RV at present.
- What Is a Generator?
- What Size of Generator Do You Need?
- What Size of Generator for Camping?
- How to Choose the Best Generators for RV?
- Portable Generator Safety Tips
- Portable Generator Maintenance Tips
- Top 10 Best Portable Generators for RV: The Full Review
- 1. DuroStar DS4000S, 3300 Running Watts/4000 Starting Watts, Gas Powered Portable Generator
- 2. Westinghouse W Gen 3600 Portable Generator – 3600 Rated Watts & 4650 Peak Watts – RV Ready – Gas Powered – CARB Compliant
- 3. DuroMax XP4400E 4,400 Watt 7.0 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator with Wheel Kit and Electric Start
- 4. Champion 3500-Watt RV Ready Portable Generator with Wireless Remote Start (CARB)
- 5. Champion 3800-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Generator with Electric Start
- 6. WEN 56200i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator, CARB Compliant
- 7. Generac 6866 iQ2000 Super Quiet 1600 Running Watts/2000 Starting Watts Gas Powered Inverter Generator – CARB Compliant
- 8. Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator with Electric Start
- 9. Honda EU2000I Watt Portable Generator with Inverter
- 10. Yamaha EF2000iSv2, 1600 Running Watts/2000 Starting Watts, Gas Powered Portable Inverter
- Frequently Asked Questions
- In a Nutshell
What Is a Generator?
I am sure that generator is present at every home in our modern society as it is more and more important to not only RV but the electrical system also. However, not everyone understands the role of RV generator as well as how it works. Before choosing figure out the best portable generators for RV, let’s see what it actually is.
The generator is an electric device which uses pistons, cranks, and turbines to convert chemical compounds into electricity. In some cases, if the generator does not have enough chemical energy for further process, the electricity production will be blocked.
The chief factor which determines the electricity production is outside impacts. Without them, no force can influence or create necessary elements for the electric process. The generator may produce power from human forces and some renewable ones such as wind, sun, steam, or air.
What Size of Generator Do You Need?
Before showing you the best portable generators for RV, I want to provide for you is what size of generator we should have at homes or campsites to enhance its effectiveness. At first glance, many people will say that there is no link between the action mechanism and size of an RV generator. In reality, nonetheless, two of them are closely associated together.
I claim that no one wants to have a trip and go camping with friends or family members in a long time without electricity. This is one reason why portable RV generator for camping is essential in our modern lives.
Admittedly, at present times there are more and more RV generators for you to pick up with a wide range of size. In another word, choosing a portable generator for RV during your camping trip or holiday is not a difficult task like previous times.
The key thing you need to know is how your airstream demands the power. If you understand this thoroughly, choosing which size for RV generator will be easier.
Some people think that they can apply one size for all appliances at their homes as they consume electricity from the same generator. Nevertheless, this thought is not true. We should have a private size of RV generator. And, other electric equipment has another size.
To air conditioner, obviously, this appliance requires the largest amount of power compared with others. You need, therefore, to choose a big generator for it as much as possible.
Nowadays, there are three levels of air conditioner namely: 9500 BTUs, 11000 BTUs, and 13500 BTUs. An RV generator has 2500 watts is appropriate for the smallest scale of the air conditioner. Meanwhile, the middle level will work efficiently when receiving 3500 watts. And, the largest scale of the air conditioner is suitable for roughly 3500 watts.
Another thing you should consider is the size of your air conditioning before deciding to pick up a size for RV generator. Undeniably, a suitable size for RV generator will certainly enhance the effectiveness of the electricity and ensure good conditions for your appliances at homes.
Other appliances (except for air conditioner) belong to the second group. It is evident that this group includes many electric items like laptops, computers, mobile phones, TVs, and other appliances. These electrical equipment consume less power than the first category. They only use about 1000 to 2000 watts.
Nonetheless, you also need to remember that some kitchen appliances may consume power quickly than others. You should take kettles, fridges, and microwave ovens into consideration before deciding to choose an appropriate RV generator at your home.
If you have numerous kinds of appliances in your home, I encourage you to pick up a large generator. This can ensure the smooth working condition for the air conditioner as well as other necessary appliances. Moreover, a large RV generator can save money for you.
Check the detail here: What Size Generator Do I Need for My RV?
What Size of Generator for Camping?
As I said above, the best portable generators for RV are not only used at home but during camping days also. I am sure that those who are keen on camping and traveling will find it difficult to live without an effective RV generator. Therefore, when choosing a suitable generator, you should focus on this point.
There are two types of RV camping generator. The first one is the direct electricity. And, the second one is the recreational generator. The latter kind includes a compact design and small design.
In comparison, compact design RV generator includes some appliances providing modest power (under 100 watts). Meanwhile, small design RV generator has higher power than Compact design RV generator with more than 2000 watts.
If you want to pick up a suitable RV generator for your camping, you should calculate exactly the amount of power that each appliance consumes or produces. When you can find the watt figure, you will certainly know the exact number of wattages to run at one time.
You should consider the above point carefully. If you use few appliances, I highly recommend you to choose compact design generator. On the contrary, you should buy a small design which is suitable for a large number of electrical equipment.
How to Choose the Best Generators for RV?
Before purchasing a generator for your RV, you should consider some criteria to make sure that the product you buy is good for the budget. I also got these things when deciding to buy RV generator for my home. There are some aspects you need to know about RV generator.
The key thing you should remember and consider first when buying an RV generator is its power output. It is undeniable that when we have a generator with strong and long-lasting power, it will ensure for all appliances to run even when we are on holiday. I mentioned this point in the previous part. However, you also choose a generator which has the power capability suitable for their electrical equipment. In some cases, if you pick up an RV generator that is too small or too large in its power output, bad conditions can happen.
The second feature of a good RV generator you need to look at is noise. This is an essential thing you should care. Unquestionably, some generators produce lots of noise when it works. Are you sure that you can sleep well next to a noisy generator? The answer certainly is NO. If your generator makes noise too much, I advise you to pick up another one which is newer, more portable, and more affordable. A quiet RV generator does not produce a noise like others. It has a special function of curbing on making noise to avoid disturbing family members.
Another important criteria you should focus on before buying an RV generator is whether it is portable or not. Apparently, the generator is not only used at homes but also for the travel trailer. Therefore, the portable one will be more comfortable and necessary. This makes sure that you can bring the generator along you when on holiday. Thus, you do not need to worry about the electricity source for your appliances.
The fourth aspect I highly suggest is RV generator’s ability to run two units simultaneously. This is called parallel capability. Admittedly, a good RV generator with this mechanism can produce output power two times higher than the normal one. Perhaps everyone wants his or her RV generator to have this characteristic as it will ensure a long lasting working condition for your electrical appliances.
Running time also is important to your RV generator. You need to make sure that it can work in a long time. Check this feature before choosing your RV generator.
When it comes to construction, I mean less bulky yet maximum sturdiness. Of course, nobody would like to carry a heavy and huge machine. In fact, the best portable generators for RV tend to have a reasonable size and compact instructions which is not too heavy or too lightweight. All for easy transportability.
Which Type of Fuel?
Your selection of fuel is also important as RV generators are produced to run on different types of fuel. However, I strongly advise you to choose the one that is compatible with your trips.
Fundamentally, there are 3 main types of fuel which should know their features including gasoline, propane, and diesel.
- Gasoline is a cheap option and can be easily bought, so it is very popular among RVers. Remember that gasoline is very flammable and burn through very fast in comparison with diesel
- Propane, regarding power production, is 10 percent less. On the other hand, this liquid has a longer shelf life
- Diesel, in general, generates more power than propane and burns much cleaner than gasoline. In case you decide to use diesel, you had better buy a dialed generator
High performance with low fuel consumption is always one of the most crucial factors when choosing any device, especially the best generator for RV. Check it carefully to avoid purchasing an exhaustive one that costs more one fuel leading to a decrease in endurance.
It is true that buyers, including you and me, often try to look for a product which is reasonably priced but still superior on the market. Understand that the more features it has, the higher price you must pay. Hence, it is wiser to set your budget to know how much you could afford and stick to it while searching your best portable generators for RV.
Read the detail here: What Size Generator for Camping?
Portable Generator Safety Tips
Keep in mind that all electronic devices pose safety risks, so buying the best portable generators for RV is not enough. Pay close attention to these following safety tips to protect yourself and increase the level of durability.
- Always follow instructions from the manufacturer
- Never leave your generator outside in the rain and snow because you will probably suffer from electric shock. Otherwise, corrosion might be caused if the internal parts of your machine get wet
- Be aware that a portable generator can produce toxic gas – carbon monoxide. Thus, never run a generator in a contained room or indoors
- Ensure to keep its exhaust points away from the rig
- Leave the machine immediately once you start feeling dizzy or having a headache
- Use a heavy-duty or grounded extension cord to plug the electrical equipment into your generator
- Try to decrease the number of devices which need the support of your generator to avoid overload and other unexpected dangers
- Before operating, check the entire length of the cords carefully to make sure that there is no tear or cut, and your plug has 3 prongs
- Do not store fuel for your generator inside the house. Those flammable liquids like those must be left outside and labeled as well as keep them out of children’s reach
- Gasoline is extremely flammable, therefore before you refuel your generator, turn the machine off and let it cool down for at least 5 minutes
- Keep the machine away from any flammable materials
Portable Generator Maintenance Tips
It is obvious that you never want to keep spending a large amount of money on just an RV generator. Hence, try to learn how to use it properly and follow the maintenance tips to avoid efficiency, hard starting and increase the level of durability. Here is some suggested advice for you.
So to protect your best portable generators for RV, you should:
- Add good gas stabilizer to the fuel
- Run that unit for approximately 15 minutes
- Wait until your engine cool down
- Start and run the engine again and wait until it runs out of energy and turns off
In case gas is left in the tank, make use of a siphon, but ensure that it is not conducive to prevent static electricity.
Top 10 Best Portable Generators for RV: The Full Review
At present on the market, there are many different kinds of RV generators. This can make you feel confused or stuck among various choices. In this today article, I will provide you some outstanding RV generators that are effective and portable. I do hope that after reading my helpful article, you can pick up a suitable product for your home.
1. DuroStar DS4000S, 3300 Running Watts/4000 Starting Watts, Gas Powered Portable Generator
2. Westinghouse W Gen 3600 Portable Generator – 3600 Rated Watts & 4650 Peak Watts – RV Ready – Gas Powered – CARB Compliant
3. DuroMax XP4400E 4,400 Watt 7.0 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator with Wheel Kit and Electric Start
4. Champion 3500-Watt RV Ready Portable Generator with Wireless Remote Start (CARB)
5. Champion 3800-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Generator with Electric Start
6. WEN 56200i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator, CARB Compliant
7. Generac 6866 iQ2000 Super Quiet 1600 Running Watts/2000 Starting Watts Gas Powered Inverter Generator – CARB Compliant
8. Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator with Electric Start
9. Honda EU2000I Watt Portable Generator with Inverter
10. Yamaha EF2000iSv2, 1600 Running Watts/2000 Starting Watts, Gas Powered Portable Inverter
Frequently Asked Questions
Although I have provided you with many pieces of information, I guess there are still some aspects that you might find them confusing after buying your best portable generator for RV. Hence, in this part, I will answer some common questions when it comes to the use of a generator.
How Quiet Should Your Generator Be?
Well, this is a very big topic, and there is no rule and exact answer to this question. Of course, for RV camping, the quieter it is, the better experience you have. Which level will you consider as an awful noise? Or what level will you consider as the quietness?
What Will An Inverter Generator Do?
An inverter generator is useful enough to help you do many things such as charging your RV’s batteries, replacing the solar charging on a cloudy day, running high wattage appliances like a microwave or air conditioning.
In fact, the inverter generator supplies the interior 120 volts A/C outlets with power. In case the power is not plugged in at a campground, or simply, you do not have any generator or an inverter on, these outlets will not work, and this concept often takes newcomers a while to accept!
Also, RV batteries usually provide D/C power only, so there will be no A/C power for you without a portable generator or an inverter. Appliances in an RV that tend to run off D/C power include propane fridge, lights, and other which come with your RV or are wired to RV batteries. Unfortunately, these items will gradually drain the batteries, and that is the reason why you must have a power source to ‘energize’ them. And a generator shows up to save your day!
How Much Power Does My RV Generator Need to Generate?
Being powerful is good, but too much power will blow everything in your RV. Meanwhile, no one can’t stand a weak one which is not able to power any appliances. Thus, look for all equipment using 120 volts! The only thing that has different running-wattage and starting requirements is your air conditioner.
Also, never operate a generator indoors, and refuel it while running as even the best portable generators for RV have potential threats! However, if you permanently install a generator into the RV, have a transfer switch that will automatically turn the machine on and off depending on whether it connected to your electric grid or not.
Must I Purchase A Portable Generator for RV?
Honestly, portable generators are mainly used by campers and RVers. In case you plan to stay in a campground and be hooked up to a source of power, you might not need to have a generator.
However, if batteries are the only thing to power electronics in your RV house, and there is no solar panel as well as a campground, do not hesitate to purchase the best RV generator for you. Sometimes, you will not have enough battery to charge something; undoubtedly, a generator will be your hero.
How Can I Charge My Batteries?
There are several ways for you to charge batteries, for example, portable solar panels shore power, or a portable generator.
If you plan to camp in a dry blushy location or stay in a national park in which there are no utilities, a generator is a must. Some RVers say that they have the ample solar, so they do not need an RV generator. Well, just imagine on a rainy day, and the solar is not enough, what will you handle the situation? Thus, the best portable generators for RV are always a wise option as a backup plan.
Roof-mounted panels are quite difficult to use. In general, you will have to watch how your park your RV carefully so that the panels can catch the sun. Like ample solar, cloudy and rainy days will reduce its effectiveness. Lack of power will be serious if you do not hit any campground or have a generator.
Solar is always considered as a really good method to charge batteries. A lot of RVers make use of portable panels that allow you to move them around to follow the sun. Although this approach can prevent a shady patch, it demands more work.
In a Nutshell
You should consider some criteria before purchasing an RV generator such as noise, wattage level, design, and parallel technological operation. From my experience in the appliances market, I give you a full review of RV generator for camping. I hope that with my tips and reviews of the best portable generators for RV, you can find and choose the one that suits your personal needs.