Okay, we’ll admit to being audiophiles. Our researchers and writers here focus mainly on tiny house and RV life, but we noticed we spend a lot of time discussing great sound. So we decided to point our team and their skills to the best vintage record players.
Read on for the results of more than 100 hours of research! (Spoiler alert, the Electrohome Wellington wins yet again).
These players are designed to play vinyl records, but features modern touches, such as playing MP3s via USB or smartphones, AM/FM radio, CD and cassette players. Meanwhile, why not consider buying the best vintage turntable or maybe best portable record player online? Go on – indulge your passion!
Top 5 Best Vintage Turntable – Short Vintage Record Player Reviews
|Product Name||Quality||Price||Our Rating|
|Electrohome Wellington Record Player||A++|
|Crosley CR704C-PA Musician Turntable||A+|
|Electrohome Signature Vinyl Record Player||A++|
|Victrola VTA-200B Nostalgic Classic 6-in-1 Turntable||A+|
|1byone Belt-Drive 3-Speed Portable Stereo Turntable||A|
- Top 5 Best Vintage Turntable – Short Vintage Record Player Reviews
- Electrohome Wellington Record Player Retro Vinyl Turntable – Best Retro & Vinyl Vintage Record Player
- Crosley CR704C-PA Musician Turntable – Best Vintage Style Record Player
- Electrohome Signature Vinyl Record Player Classic Turntable – Best Old Fashioned Record Player
- Victrola VTA-200B Nostalgic Classic 6-in-1 Turntable
- 1byone Belt-Drive 3-Speed Portable Stereo Turntable – Best Vintage Portable Record Player
- The Vintage Turntables vs. The New Turntables
- Top Reasons for using a Vintage Turntable
- Important Features of a Turntable
- Factors to Consider When Choosing a Vintage Turntable
- More Tips in Buying a Record Player
- Where to Buy a Vintage Record Player?
Electrohome Wellington Record Player Retro Vinyl Turntable – Best Retro & Vinyl Vintage Record Player
Crosley CR704C-PA Musician Turntable – Best Vintage Style Record Player
Electrohome Signature Vinyl Record Player Classic Turntable – Best Old Fashioned Record Player
Victrola VTA-200B Nostalgic Classic 6-in-1 Turntable
1byone Belt-Drive 3-Speed Portable Stereo Turntable – Best Vintage Portable Record Player
The Vintage Turntables vs. The New Turntables
People have different outlooks in life. There are those who prefers classic types, while there are also people who choose modern styles. But when it comes to art and beauty, then everyone is in the same category. Passion always brings people together no matter what their preferences. So, if music is your passion, then for sure you know what a turntable is.
Who thinks vintage turntables are no longer for sale? Actually, you can still find a good vintage turntable/ record player on the market today. When you are talking about vintage turntables, you might want to go back to the old-school and retro type of music.
With a vintage turntable, you can play 78 RPM records or 78s. In fact, these turntables existed before 1940s with a 10’’ and 12’’ size. The quality of the audio depends on the vintage product’s age. But rest assured you can play your music here.
As we modernize and with the presence of new technology, there are of course lots of new turntables for sale. These new turntables come in a vintage design. Therefore, they combine a vintage look with the features of a modern turntable.
The technology and modernization of the vintage turntable incorporates USB ports. You can even import your favorite type of music directly from your iPod or your MP3 players. That makes it flow on the market.
Presently, you can get a good vintage turntable available with all the modern features. So, you still get a nice portable turntable to use at your tiny home.
In my opinion, it would be a good idea to play your music with the best turntable on the market. This might make you look like an old-fashioned music lover, but having a vintage turntable? You will be one of a kind.
Top Reasons for using a Vintage Turntable
If you go to the market and visit music or instrument shops, then you will surely spend some time looking at how technology plays its part. You might be looking at a vintage record player and see how it goes. The best quality and best-designed turntable available might be playing on your mind. Another thing that keeps playing on your mind is using a portable vintage record player at home. For some reason, people just love to use a vintage turntable.
- First, preserving the original, physical copy of the music. Another way of preserving music is through the use of MP3s. But, what if a virus finds its way to your system? As a result, you have to reorganize your audio files again.
- Another thing: what if you don’t have a backup of your audio files? As a consequence, you have to start from scrap. However, having physical copies of your music will save you from this misery.
- Second, the quality of the audio. Do you think you are listening to music with high quality audio? What do you think is the difference between the quality of today’s audio compared to the vintage record players you can use?
- Third, your passion for music. There are people who simply prefer listening to old songs with a vintage record player rather than playing these old songs from their MP3 players.
- Fourth, playing timeless music with a turntable keeps the people around in love and at peace. It feels great to reminisce and refresh memories of togetherness in times gone by.
- Finally, you don’t just buy a portable record player to keep your music running. It can also be kept at home as a decoration. It is so cool to see a turntable displayed in your music room or in your living room.
Important Features of a Turntable
Vintage turntables might look old-fashioned today, but yes, they are still available for sale on the market. With a few modern features that really amaze millions of music lovers. There is no doubt about their popularity.
The Belt Drive or the Direct Drive
Turntables have a motor that turns the platter. This motor is attached in two ways. One is called the Belt Drive and the other one is the Direct Drive. Your choice depends on how you would like to use your turntables.
- Belt Drive
The motor is attached next to the turntable’s platter, using an elastic belt. At the same time, the belt reduces the noise or the vibration coming from the motor. This is very common because people simply want to be able to hear their music.
- Direct Drive
The motor is under the platter, which means that there is a direct attachment. There is no noise reduction, however, the speed of the motor is more stable. This is very popular with DJs, especially when they create sound effects.
The Manual or the Automatic Tonearm Model
Placing the tonearm or the needle makes the turntable an exciting experience. In a Manual type, you have to lift the tonearm, and then place it correctly on the platter together with the record.
The Automatic Model does the placing by itself. There are also Semi-automatic types, where you have to place the tonearm with a stylus on top of the plate. Simply push a button and it lowers automatically.
Recording and the USB feature
The best record player ensures the highest quality and of course, durability when it comes to storing digital music. Recording your music from a USB turntable to your disk drive allows you to keep all your old school albums. Their typical sound is also kept, that is if the recording is done from a Long Play or LP.
For this reason, you can play a vinyl sound via a digital device. But, check the model of your turntable players. It must support LP sizes accordingly because sizes are produced in 33’, 45’ and 78’ formats.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Vintage Turntable
You already know that vintage turntables are for sale today. You can find the best portable vintage record players for under $100 or $200 on the market. But, before thinking about where to buy a vintage record player, you should be listing down the following factors that you must consider when choosing the perfect turntable.
You can identify a good record player accordingly through the materials used, such as steel, aluminum, and plastic. These materials of diverse styles give different levels of quality.
The steel type is basically constructed for a lighter and cheaper turntable. Therefore, you might find this type of turntables for under $200.
These come with a secured rubber disc on top, providing tracts for the record and isolating vibration. They might be less expensive, but feature a distinct motor speed.
The more expensive turntables for sale are made of heavy aluminum. This has a greater balance of mass and inertia.
This minimizes stylus vibration and maintains the sound at a constant speed. It comes fitted with a ball or roller bearings in its spindle. As a result, noise and friction are reduced.
Very cheap turntables that are for sale at under $100 or even under $50 are made of plastic. This material is common in all-in-one audio devices.
This is where the excitement rises. The stylus meeting the groove. The quality of the sound produced. The top part of the cartridge mounted to the surface of the record must be parallel.
Make sure that the angle of the stylus is identical to the angle of the vertical tracking.
Again, don’t forget to check your drive features. This factor has to do with record spin, friction control, speed and disk braking.
You might have a turntable at home. But, do you know how to take care of this appliance? Even the good portable record players available on the market today can give you a problem without proper care and maintenance.
However, if you have the instruction manual for your device, then maintenance and cleaning won’t be a problem. You wanted to keep your record player alive, right? Then its life is in your hands.
More Tips in Buying a Record Player
There are people who are looking for a vintage turntable because they have seen the excellent quality of these music devices. So, do you have any idea of where to buy yourself a vintage record player? You can check the stores in your area and you may be lucky to find it otherwise just order it online.
For some reason, the ability to set the needle on your record comes heavily into consideration. The tracking force makes people want to have the best quality record player available. Set your stylus and then get your turntable on. That actually sounds just perfect for some great music!
New turntables, of course, are more expensive. You can find them for sale at around $400 to $600. However, you can also find vintage turntables at a cheaper price. Don’t worry, the quality is still good. And you can get them under for under $200 or even $100.
Next, when buying a turntable, make sure to test the machine.
- You’re looking for a good record player, right? Another tip, did you know that heavier turntables are better? The mass of the turntable reduces the vibration. Therefore, a heavier turntable lessens the possibility of the needle jumping.
- Now, check the back end of the tonearm, too. There should be a piece of metal hanging there. This piece affects the adjustment of the tracking counterweight. Without this metal dangling, the machine won’t work well.
- When a record finishes playing, the arm goes back to the cradle. There are turntables where this feature is automatic. Otherwise, you have to lift the needle and then place it on the record while slowly settling it down.
- There are also turntables with a power cord and a thin wire that you can find at the back. That serves as the ground. It helps the motor eliminate noise.
- Better turntables have shock absorbers. This is not a compulsory requirement for a turntable. In addition, this feature indicates a vintage turntable of the best quality.
- Sometimes, you just need to upgrade the belt or change the stylus. And then your player will turn out to be magical. Setting up your vintage turntable will not cost you much.
Here is information on Turntable setup for beginners + Record Cleaning + Tracking and Alignment:
Where to Buy a Vintage Record Player?
There are people who are looking for a vintage turntable because they have seen the quality of these music devices. So, do you have any idea where to buy a vintage record player?
If you are going to check your local stores, it won’t be easy to find vintage turntables for sale. But you check anyway. You might be lucky and find one.
Actually, the best idea is to check online. Firstly, you won’t lose anything by simply checking them out online. You will find there are various brands under $200 or under $100 for sale. The next thing that you might want to do is to read vintage record player reviews.
Still, the best option when thinking about where to buy a vintage record player is online. In my opinion, the best place to buy a vintage turntable is via Amazon.
After a thorough reading of the vintage turntable reviews, I have to come to a tough decision. Actually, all the models chosen for these vintage turntable reviews are amazing. However, I can say with certainty that the best one is the Electrohome Signature Vinyl Record Player Classic Turntable.
This is the best one because it offers all the necessary features, such as playing vinyl records, AM/FM radio, CDs and MP3s via USB or smartphones. It comes with a “diamond tipped” ceramic replaceable needle. And it records vinyl albums which can be converted to an MP3 and saved to your USB.
In my opinion, this is the best record player because it is a better and a newer version of other Electrohome models and the Crosley. The 1byone and Victrola might be cheaper, but you can’t play CDs with the 1byone. Also, it doesn’t have Bluetooth or a USB port. And the Victrola has no AM radio. I am not saying that they are not good, they just have fewer features. Therefore, make a list of features you need and choose wisely.
Photos source: Amazon, Max Pixel, Pexels.